Skip to page body Home About the City Our Government Departments & Services How Do I…


We realize that for many persons, being a victim or witness to a crime is their first experience with the criminal and juvenile justice systems.  As a victim or witness, you have certain rights within the system. 


This Victims' Rights brochure is being provided to you to assist you with questions you may have regarding those rights. 


Victim Rights Brochure (English)





Florida Office of the Attorney General Victim Services

The Florida Attorney General's Division of Victim Services not only serves as an advocate for crime victims and victims' rights, it also administers a compensation program to ensure financial assistance for innocent victims of crime. As part of its responsibility, the division also notifies victims of the status of any appellate decisions regarding their cases.


Injured crime victims may be eligible for financial assistance for medical care, lost income, mental health services, funeral expenses and other out-of-pocket expenses directly related to the injury. If needed, they can also be referred to support organizations within their home area.


Victims wishing to apply for assistance, check on the status of their applications, or in need of any other assistance can contact the division toll free from anywhere in the United States.


The toll-free number is 1-800-226-6667.


How to file for Victim Compensation



Domestic Violence / Dating Violence


COVID-19 Interim Procedures

Interim procedures are being used during the COVID-19 (coronavirus) outbreak. These procedures will help to protect the public and Clerk staff by limiting the amount of in-person contact needed to file an injunction.

Please download the Domestic Violence Injunction Information Packets (PDF) and follow the instructions as listed.



There are five kinds of civil injunctions: domestic violence, sexual violence, dating violence, repeat violence, and stalking. There are different requirements for each type of injunction. The type of petition you file depends on your relationship with the other person and what has occurred. The requirements for each type of injunction are listed in the following:



Do you now or have you ever lived with the other person as a "family"? Family includes but is not limited to people who you are related to by blood or marriage, parties intimately involved and living together but never married, adopted children, step-parents, and step-children.

Or  Do you and the other person have a child together?

If you answered yes to either of these questions you may wish to file a petition for an injunction for protection against domestic violence.




Victim Compensation Claim Form



Last updated: 11/17/2020 10:32:44 AM