CRIMINAL INVESTIGATIONS SECTION
The Investigative Section is under the direction of Sergeant Michelle Smith and provides the Bartow Police Department with professional and skilled detectives. The Detective Section is responsible for follow-up on all felony crimes and narcotic investigations.
The Division includes six (6) Detectives and a Sergeant, and performs, but is not limited to, the following investigative tasks:
- Crimes Against Persons
- Exploitation of the Elderly
- Child Abuse
- Domestic Violence
- Missing persons/runaways
- Property Crimes: Burglaries, vehicle thefts and fraud.
- Intelligence gathering & distribution:
- Evidence & Crime Scene Unit
- Photographs, fingerprints and evidence at crime scenes.
- Storing and Securing Evidence
CRIME SCENE UNIT / PROPERTY AND EVIDENCE
The Crime Scene Unit responds to various crime scenes that require the collection and preservation of evidence. This Unit also processes evidence and transports evidence for more technical processing to the Florida Department Law Enforcement Crime Lab.
The Property/Evidence Section responsibilities:
- Receive all incoming property
- Store the evidence properly
- Preserve its condition
- Maintain it securely
- Prevent tampering
- Lawfully release or disposal of the property
- Maintain written and computer documentation, that is sufficiently accurate and complete to satisfy any court which has reason to examine the process.
The ultimate goal for the Property/Evidence Unit is the appropriate disposition of property, whether in compliance with court order, through release to its rightful owner, or through other legal means such as destruction, diversion or donation. The Property/Evidence Unit researches the disposition of cases, then sends the appropriate form to the investigating officer and/or State Attorney for permission to dispose of property.
Certain items of evidence require additional security precautions because of its very nature. All property and evidence is maintained in the property room.
Hours of operation for the Property/Evidence Room are Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, excluding holidays. For answers to most commonly asked questions, click the link below to access the document. You may also call the Property & Evidence Division at (863) 534-5034.