One of the most important duties of the Neighborhood Crime Watch members is to report suspicious activity. How do you determine what is suspicious activity? To begin with, there are probably many people and situations that might be considered suspicious. A suspicious activity is when a person's conduct or action does not fit the normal day to day activity of your neighborhood. If you feel that something is unusual or looks wrong, it probably is. Follow your intuition. With your help in reporting suspicious activities, Bartow Police Officers can more effectively protect the citizens in your neighborhood.
CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING ACTIVITIES AS SUSPICIOUS:
1. A person or vehicle stays in the same place for an unusual length of time.
2. A parked car with the engine running.
3. A person behaves strangely or exhibits unusual movements.
4. A person concealing an object or carrying a weapon.
5. A person looking into cars, moving from car to car, and/or tries door handles.
6. A person looking into windows of homes, or forcibly entering a car or home.
7. A person running from a home for no apparent reason, especially at night.
8. A person carrying/transporting unusual/valuable objects, day or night.
9. A person sells/conducts business out of their car, van, truck, or other vehicle.
10. A vehicle drives around your block frequently, slowing down, speeding up.
11. A vehicle without lights on, arriving or leaving at night.
12. A person you don't know offering candy or gifts to children.
BARTOW POLICE DEPARTMENT
Remember, there are many activities that could be considered suspicious. A suspicious activity is an occurrence that is out of place and should not be happening in your neighborhood. There could be reasonable explanations for some suspicious activities. By thinking things through, being observant, and using common sense, you will be able to make a good judgment about whether an activity is suspicious. If you call the police and you were wrong, it's okay, you will not be in trouble. Your role as a concerned citizen is to report whatever you think is wrong or suspicious.
REPORTING SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITY
Be prepared. Keep the phone number of the Bartow Police Department - (863) 534-5034, by your telephone. Call 9-1-1 if it is a life threatening situation and you need Police, Fire, or Ambulance immediately. Remain calm. Avoid taking any risks. Your safety is most important. Keep away from the crime scene to preserve evidence.
When you call to report a suspicious activity, you will be asked for your name, address, and telephone number. This information is requested to verify our records or in case additional contact with you becomes necessary.
You can remain anonymous by calling 534-5034. However, Bartow Police Department does have enhanced 9-1-1, which means that the address and telephone number of the phone you are calling from will be available to the dispatcher when you make a call to 9-1-1.
TRY TO REMEMBER THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION:
DO NOT PLACE YOURSELF IN DANGER TO GET INFORMATION!
- What happened?
- Time and place?
- Was anyone hurt?
- Description of suspect(s)
- Description of vehicle(s)
- License plate number
- Time and direction of travel
- Additional details and circumstances
Remain on the telephone until you are certain the police department has all the necessary information.
If it is suspicious to you, it's suspicious to us. It is better to be safe than sorry.
In your neighborhood, we don't know what is suspicious and what is not.
It is up to you, the Neighborhood Crime Watch, to let us know when you see suspicious activity! Report it immediately!
BARTOW POLICE DEPARTMENT