2020-09-09 agenda Regular Meeting City Commission
To view or listen to the September 9, 2020 Regular Meeting of the Bartow City Commission via WebEx click the following event link to register:
Click here for link: CLICK HERE FOR WEBEX
To listen by phone, call +1-408-418-9388 (long distance charges may apply)
Event number (access code): 173 882 7588
CITY OF BARTOW
CITY COMMISSION REGULAR MEETING
WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 9, 2020 AT 6:00 P.M. (EST)
OR AS SOON THEREAFTER AS POSSIBLE
CITY HALL COMMISSION CHAMBERS, 450 NORTH WILSON AVE., BARTOW, FL 33830
1. CALL TO ORDER
3. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG
4. PROCLAMATIONS AND SPECIAL PRESENTATIONS (refer to consent agenda)
5. GENERAL PUBLIC COMMENT – At this time, the Commission will receive comments from the public regarding matters not appearing on this agenda.
6. CITY ANNOUNCEMENTS
7. REPORTS OF CHARTER OFFICERS
a. City Manager Communications
• Potential Work Sessions
b. City Attorney Communications
8. AGENDA MODIFICATION/APPROVAL
9. PUBLIC COMMENT ON AGENDA ITEMS – At this time, the Commission will receive comments from the public regarding matters that appear on this agenda, not otherwise scheduled for a separate Public Hearing.
10. HEARINGS – FIRST AND SECOND READINGS AND PUBLIC HEARINGS
a. First reading and consideration of Ordinance No. 2020-19 – AN ORDINANCE AMENDING UNIFIED LAND DEVELOPMENT CODE SECTION 3.10.04.02(A)(9) RELATED TO THE USE OF FOOD TRUCKS IN ASSOCIATION WITH THE OPERATION OF A MICROBREWERY USE; PROVIDING FOR SCRIVENER’S ERROR; PROVIDING FOR SEVERABILITY; AND PROVIDING FOR AN EFFECTIVE DATE UPON FINAL PASSAGE.
b. Resolution No. 20-4054-R – Public Hearing and adoption of Fire Protection Assessment and Approval of Assessment Roll – A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY OF BARTOW, FLORIDA, RELATING TO THE PROVISION OF FIRE PROTECTION SERVICES, FACILITIES AND PROGRAMS IN THE CITY OF BARTOW, FLORIDA; COMPRISING THE ANNUAL RESOLUTION TO REIMPOSE FIRE PROTECTION ASSESSMENTS AGAINST ASSESSED PROPERTY LOCATED WITHIN THE CITY OF BARTOW FOR THE FISCAL YEAR BEGINNING OCTOBER 1, 2020; APPROVING THE RATES OF ASSESSMENT; APPROVING THE ASSESSMENT ROLL; CONFIRMING AND AMENDING THE PRELIMINARY RATE RESOLUTION; PROVIDING FOR SEVERABILITY; AND PROVIDING FOR AN EFFECTIVE DATE. Public hearing required.
c. Resolution No. 20-4055-R – Public Hearing and adoption of Stormwater Assessment and Approval of Assessment Roll – A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY OF BARTOW, FLORIDA, RELATING TO THE PROVISION OF STORMWATER MANAGEMENT SERVICES, FACILITIES AND PROGRAMS IN THE CITY OF BARTOW, FLORIDA; COMPRISING THE ANNUAL RESOLUTION TO REIMPOSE STORMWATER IMPROVEMENT AND SERVICE ASSESSMENTS AGAINST ASSESSED PROPERTY LOCATED WITHIN THE CITY OF BARTOW FOR THE FISCAL YEAR BEGINNING OCTOBER 1, 2020; APPROVING THE RATES OF ASSESSMENT; APPROVING THE ASSESSMENT ROLL; CONFIRMING AND AMENDING THE PRELIMINARY RATE RESOLUTION; PROVIDING FOR SEVERABILITY; PROVIDING FOR AN EFFECTIVE DATE. Public hearing required.
d. Resolution No. 20-4056-R – A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COMMISSION OF THE CITY OF BARTOW, FLORIDA, RELATING NON-AD VALOREM ASSESSMENTS; APPROVING AND ADOPTING A NON-AD VALOREM ASSESSMENT ROLL FOR COSTS AND FEES ASSOCIATED WITH THE DEMOLITION OF UNSAFE OR OTHERWISE OFFENDING STRUCTURES AND FOR REMOVAL OF WEEDS, NOXIOUS GROWTH, RUBBISH ACCUMULATIONS, AND OTHER INSANITARY MATERIAL IN THE CITY OF BARTOW, FLORIDA; SPECIFYING THE AMOUNT OF THE ASSESSMENTS; PROVIDING AN EFFECTIVE DATE. Public hearing required.
e. PUBLIC HEARING, ADOPTION OF TENTATIVE MILLAGE RATE AND TENTATIVE BUDGET
1. Convene Public Hearing
2. Introduction – City Manager
3. Discussion and Comment
a. Proposed Millage Rate
b. Proposed Budget
4. Amendment(s) of Proposed Budget (if any)
5. Re-computation of Proposed Millage Rate (if any)
6. Adoption of Tentative Millage Rate - Resolution No. 20-4057-R – A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COMMISSION OF THE CITY OF BARTOW, FLORIDA, ADOPTING A TENTATIVE GENERAL MILLAGE RATE FOR THE 2020 TAX YEAR, DECLARING THE PERCENT BY WHICH SAID MILLAGE RATE EXCEEDS THE ROLLED-BACK RATE; CHARACTERIZING SAID PERCENT AS THE PERCENTAGE INCREASE IN PROPERTY TAXES; PROVIDING FOR AN EFFECTIVE DATE.
7. Statutory Millage Disclosure (Sec. 200.065(2)(c) F.S.)
8. Adoption of Tentative Budget – Resolution No. 20-4058-R – A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COMMISSION OF BARTOW, FLORIDA, ADOPTING A TENTATIVE BUDGET FOR THE 2021 FISCAL YEAR; PROVIDING THAT A COPY OF SAID BUDGET SHALL BE FILED IN THE OFFICE OF THE DIRECTOR OF FINANCE; PROVIDING FOR AN EFFECTIVE DATE.
9. Announce date and time to adopt Final Millage Rate and Final Budget.
10. Adjourn Public Hearing.
11. CONSENT AGENDA
a. Approval of August 17, 2020 City Commission Regular Meeting minutes.
b. Approval of July 28-29, 2020 City Commission Strategic Planning Meeting minutes.
c. Issuance of proclamation recognizing September 15, 2020 at National IT Professionals Day.
d. Issuance of proclamation recognizing September 2020 as Multicultural Awareness Month.
e. Issuance of proclamation recognizing September 17-23, 2020 as Constitution Week.
f. Approval to reappoint Bruce Munroe to the General Employees’ Pension Trust Fund Board of Trustees. The new term will expire September 2023.
g. Approval of City Commissioner absence(s) for August 17, 2020 excusal(s): None
12. OTHER COMMISSION BUSINESS
a. OLD BUSINESS – NONE
b. NEW BUSINESS – NONE
a. Resolution No. 20-4059-R – A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COMMISSION OF BARTOW FLORIDA, ENDORSING AND SUPPORTING POLK COUNTY, A POLITICAL SUBDIVISION OF THE STATE OF FLORIDA, IN ITS GRANT APPLICATION TO THE FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE AND CONSUMER SERVICES (FDACS) FOR FUNDING IMPROVEMENTS TO THE BARTOW STATE LIVESTOCK AND CROPS PAVILION, AKA POLK COUNTY AGRICULTURAL CENTER AND UF/IFAS EXTENSION POLK COUNTY COMPLEX.
14. COMMISSIONER COMMENTS
a. JAMES F. CLEMENTS
b. STEVE GITHENS
c. LEO E. LONGWORTH
d. WILLIAM “BILLY” SIMPSON
e. SCOTT SJOBLOM
Please be advised that if you desire to appeal from any decisions made because of the above hearing or meeting, you will need a record of the proceedings and in some cases a verbatim record is required. You must make your own arrangements to produce this record. (Florida Statute 286.0105). If you are a person with a disability who needs any accommodation to participate in this proceeding, you are entitled, at no cost to you, to the provision of certain assistance. Please contact the City Clerk’s Office at 450 N. Wilson Avenue, P.O. Box 1069, Bartow, Florida 33831-1069 or phone (863) 534-0100 within 2 working days of your receipt of this meeting notification; if you are hearing or voice impaired, call 1-800-955-8771. Posted at City Hall, Bartow Public Library, and the City’s website www.cityofbartow.net on September 3, 2020.